Flax Seeds are superfoods preferred by fitness enthusiasts for their health-protective properties. Being one among the oldest crops, flax seeds have been around since the beginning of civilization. Loaded with nutrients, flaxseeds contain both Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids (aka Alpha-linoleic acid (ALA ))and lignans that help prevent cancer.
Furthermore, flax seeds are a plant-based protein that is a great source of dietary fiber and minerals like manganese, magnesium, and thiamine. Just one tablespoon of flax seeds can provide 37 calories, 1.3 gms of protein, 2gms of carbs, 1.9 gms of fiber and 3gms of fat to the body. In addition to it, flaxseeds have extraordinary health benefits that are listed below.
Why choose Flax seeds?
- Flax seeds have anti-inflammatory Omega-3’s while lignans that are responsible for anti-oxidant and estrogen properties are also present. Lignans help with hormonal balance in your body and ALA reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- As it contains both types of dietary fiber: Soluble (20-40%) and insoluble (60-80%), adding flax seeds to your meals improve digestion, promote regular bowel movement and control diabetes. Also known as high-fiber foods, flaxseeds can absorb nutrition better and make you feel full for longer time periods aiding weight control.
- Regular consumption of 30gms of flax seeds can lower cholesterol levels and also, bad LDL cholesterol is reduced by almost 20%.
- The ALA fats present in flaxseeds can nourish your skin, nails, eyes, and hair. It makes your hair shinier and protects your skin from dryness and flakiness.
- Flax seeds are gluten-free that is usually easily metabolized and can be used as an alternative natural protein source for vegetarians.